Saturday 4 March 2017

Cooper's Creek (Fiction)

OMNI online magazine has published my short story 'Cooper's Creek' which you can read for FREE at  https://omni.media/cooper-s-creek

Cooper's Creek is based on our upcoming RPG 'The Entropy Effect' and is set several years before the adventure 'Number Station' (Working title) which will be published for the RPG.

In the story we hear the tale of what happend at Cooper's Creek when the Alaskan park rangers sent a 4 man team to rescue a missing expedition fro the MacReady spring expedition - told in the form of a diary entry form ranger Don Smith.

Don will appear in the adventure module as an NPC for the PCs to interview and during playtesting I even used the short story as a handout for the players to read, although that wasn't it's original purpose.

Cooper's Creek is a creepy, SF-Horror story that should send shivers up your spine, here is a sample form the story:

'I wish I had never heard of that place.
The name will haunt me till the day I die, and that's a day that can't come soon enough. I can't even bring myself to write it down. It's as if just writing that damned name will make it real again. If it ever was real; maybe they are right, maybe it was just a psychotic episode.
If it was though, we all shared it.
Three forest rangers and a cop.
Oh and if it was just a psychotic episode, why did they seal the files? Why did they swear us to secrecy? Tell us we could never talk about it to anyone? For that matter, just who exactly were they? In their black suits and sunglasses, all of them with the same haircut. All made to look as much like one another as possible so you couldn't pick them out of a line up if you tried. 'Agents' they said, but from which agency exactly? I don't think they ever told me, but they had the boss rattled sure enough, and the cops.
It's strange the things that trigger the memories and the fear. You always hear people in the movies or in books talking about how they can't sleep at nights. How “It still haunts their dreams.” It's not really like that. Not for me anyway and not for Mitch or Jack either I don't think. Not that I've spoken to them for a while now. Mitch blew his brains out last year and Jack, well I don't know what happened to Jack. I haven't heard from him since the funeral.'
Read the rest at OMNI online Here

No comments:

Post a Comment