Sunday 28 May 2017

Sorry for being so quiet, normal service will resume shortly!


Whispers from the Other-Verse has been quite quiet lately, well for about a week or so.  I do apologise for that, it is my fault entirely.  Normal service should resume shortly with posts coming in at around about every other day.

In the meantime, a brief explanation of what's holding things up with regards to regular posting here. This deals with some personal, but not private,  things in my life, but ones I am willing to speak of openly if you aren't comfortable reading it that is okay.  Also, this is posted here partly as explanation and partly because I find it cathartic to speak of, I am not seeking sympathy, pity or 'Hugs'.

For the last year or so my mother and myself have been caring for my elderly Grandfather.  He was born in 1916 and celebrated his 100th birthday last year.  Up until last summer, he was remarkably healthy.  He had lost the eidetic memory he was born with and had reduced his 6 miles a day walks to a more manageable 1 or 2 miles per day but he was still far more fit and well than anyone could expect of a man his age.  Sadly that ended suddenly last March when he was taken ill, one of only two serious illnesses he has had in his life up to that point, (The other being Malaria which he caught while serving in the Pacific theatre in WW2 with the Royal Air Force).  Although he recovered, he never fully recovered.  Between my mother and I and the women of 'My Choice' care agency - who I must thank immensely for all they have done, we were able to fulfil his wishes to keep him in his own home.

Sadly that too came to an end about 4 weeks ago when he had a fall during the night.  Thankfully his carers found him quickly and called an ambulance which took him to University Hospital of North Durham.  There they discovered he had not broken his hip as feared but had damaged the ligament.  While recovering in hospital he contracted the third serious illness of his life, pneumonia.  For two weeks my mother and I were at his side constantly although he was so heavily medicated I doubt he knew we were there.

He was able to recover from that as well, but again, never fully.  He has lost about half his body weight and dementia has begun to close its evil grip upon a mind that was once so sharp.  At the hospital, he was assessed several times by the reablement team but they came to the conclusion we feared most, his care could no longer be managed at home.  We were asked to begin looking for a care home that could meet his needs.  Despite our willingness to try and meet his needs we sadly lack the skills.  Hence, my mother and I have been visiting him as often as possible.  She each day and I 4 times a week.  He is beginning to settle into the nursing home now.

This has, naturally, not left me as much time for work as I usually have but my grandfather- who served as my father in every way that mattered - will always come first.

Now he is settled I will be able to take my work with me when I visit him, and should, therefore, make more time to keep on top of things.

In addition to that, a second life change has occurred this last week.

As many of you know, the Gethsemane Games cat, Gethsemane died last year and was closely followed by her brother.  The litter mates had been almost inseparable in life and it seems that even in death they sought to be close to one another.  My wife and I were devastated.  These two cats had been with us for 10 years and were the life and soul of our household.  Anyone on my Facebook page will have been sick of hearing about them!   Their loss hurt us both deeply and it is only recently that we have felt ready to take on another cat.  We determined that due to the situation with my Grandfather and the fact my wife will need another major operation this year that we would wait until 2018 to get a new cat.

Fate, however, decided otherwise.  On Tuesday we were contacted by a family a friend who knew someone who desperately needed to home a cat.  He had bought the cat, A  Bengal, 10 days previously but his other cat had become terrified of it to the point that he knew he needed to rehome the Bengal.  The local cat shelters had turned him away, each one was at capacity and so Julie had promised to ask us if we could help.

I will whenever able, always help a cat in need in any way I can.  After a brief discussion, my wife and I decided that we would give the little guy a new and permanent home.  Bengals are a lot of work, as is settling any new cat especially one that has had 3 owners in the mere 10 months since it's birth!  With patience and as much time and care as he needs we are, however, integrating the newest member of our family into our home and office.

So, please say hello to the newest member of our household, Ekanath Irving:-


No comments:

Post a Comment